I knew I wanted this pillow to have some sort of a fade from one color to the next (almost ombre I suppose), so I picked up a third lighter grey material to go with the two fabrics I already had. As for the design I decided to make the front of the pillow completely out of hexagons (minus half inch borders). Since I have been on a paper pieced hexagon spree lately it seemed fitting that this pillow be made from them. 203 one-inch hexagons later this pillow was born.
I laid all the hexes out and then proceeded to sew them together. Once all the hexes were sewn together I removed the paper from the edges and squared it up to 19” x 19”.
Half inch borders in coordinating colors were added around the edges so the top was 20” x 20” unfinished.
For the back I used the same material and made the bottom half of the envelope opening black and the top half light grey.
My husband loves the final result. I finished it while he was at work one day and presented it to him upon his return. He said he loved the color and thought it turned out so much better than he imagined when I described to him what I wanted to do (not that he thought it wouldn't look good, sometimes you just have to see things).
I am very pleased with how this pillow turned out. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be, but in the end it was exactly what I was going for. Thanks for reading! Love, Elise Lea