I have been making slow but steady progress on my flower applique quilt. Since I want the flowers to overlap in different areas I can’t just applique them down when they are finished as this is more of a design as I go project. In the above picture only the orange flower is fully appliqued down (minus the center) and the other flowers are only sewn down in certain spots. The process does make it a bit tricky to go from designing to actually sewing since I need to remove so many pieces, but I find that I am enjoying it. It is interesting making these flowers on such a large scale, I find that I have to remind myself to keep making the templates bigger so the flowers don’t end up too small (currently the smallest flower in 12″ and I don’t want to go much if any smaller). I already have the templates cut for my next flower and I hope to share more progress next week.